Fred gave a worried look when he saw on his calendar that National Potato Chip Day was March 14th. “Doh,” way too loud, roused Linda’s attention. She had been watching a doe eating some left over dough in their back yard. Turning towards Fred, “What foolish or stupid action are you dohing about?” Fred sighed, “National Potato Chip Day is next week, and I don’t have any extra dough to buy a case of chips!”
Every year since he stopped sailing the seas with the Navy, Fred would seize the moment on March 14th and buy a case of some great chips for his friends to enjoy. In his mind Fred sees the empty box. It would be like a bight along the river, where the fish liked to hide, and like a missing byte of data, this National Potato Chip Day will be very bite-less.
“Fred, you’re going to the sports store today. While you’re by the food store, buy some chips.”
“What! If I get the wrong chips, my friends will say bye, bye Fred.”
“This is not a kyu Freddy. Your buddies will queue up once the aroma of the chips cue it’s time to dig in!”
After an hour of contemplation, Fred knew that Linda was right. His friends will attend the Potato Chip rite because he was a host for good get-togethers. A party that his friends would write about to their friends.
Fred thanked Lida, for she always had the words to get him back in synch when his bad thoughts made happiness sink!
(Potato Chip Day, © Steven S. Walsky March 2018.)
HAPPY POTATO CHIP DAY March 14th!
If cold slaw is served cold, why is chili served hot? Yep, life is full of contradictions. Do your characters notice?
– Hot dogs pant; but not the wiener on your bun.
– The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.
– Why do parents tell their youngins to slow down when they are eating fast food?
– The more available something is, the less you will want it.
– Do housewares stores sell coats and dresses for houses?
– The only certainty is that nothing is ever certain.
– Goofy talked; why not Pluto?
– How come the previously unknown job interviewer remembers seeing you spill coffee at the airport Starbucks?
– Why do we put suits in a garment bag and put garments in a suitcase?
– How many times do you press the remote car lock when you park the car and walk away?
Think about your ‘building blocks’; we can not write without them.